Can You Overseed in the Spring?
What You Need to Know
March 18, 2021
We often talk about aerating and seeding in the fall before the first frost to set your lawn up for success in the springtime. If you didn’t have the chance to last year, can you overseed in the spring? The short answer is yes your lawn can benefit from overseeding in the spring, but if you can possibly wait till the fall you will likely experience better results. If your lawn is in bad shape and you do not want to wait till the fall to overseed there are some things you should know to set yourself up for success.
What to Know When You Overseed in the Spring
- Do it as early as possible. Depending on the type of seed you choose, it can take a month or two before you see the grass start to thrive. While you can still enjoy your yard with some patchiness in your grass, you’ll want to give it time to thrive. Remember that you need to be particularly mindful of new grass if you decide to go outside and kick around the soccer ball or play baseball in the yard!
- Aerate first. Aerating allows air, water, and nutrients to circulate through your lawn by creating small holes in the soil. The small holes in the soil create the ideal for the new grass seeds to root.
- Water well. Don’t count on those April showers to satisfy your new lawn’s needs. Depending on the weather, you might need to water your grass once or twice a day, making sure you keep the top 1/4″ of the soil moist. Maintain this watering routine for the first week.
- Wait a week or two to mow. The best thing you can do for your grass after overseeding is give it rest, and your mower causes a lot of unrest. That’s why it’s smartest to wait around a week, or more if possible, to allow the new seeds to settle.
- Next year, plan ahead. The best time to overseed and aerate is in the fall when seeds have plenty of time to find a cozy spot in the soil. Add it to your calendar so you can enjoy the start of spring without the extra work.
- Call Green Lawn Fertilizing for help. Servicing Pennsylvania, Delaware, and New Jersey, we know just how to give you the bright, luscious yard you desire. Call us today at 888-581-5296 for a free estimate for aeration and seeding services.