How to Care for Your Lawn Year-Round
If you’re like most homeowners, you take pride in having an attractive lawn that is the envy of your neighbors and friends. But achieving a lush, green yard requires more than just setting out sprinklers and hoping for rain – it requires regular and thorough maintenance to keep your grass looking its best throughout the year. To help guide you on this quest, we have compiled a lawn care checklist for a green year.
Your Lawn Care Checklist for a Green Year
- Clean Debris and Dethatch. Rake leaves, pinecones, twigs, fallen branches, and thatch to let your grass breathe and access sunlight.
- Aerate. If your soil is compacted, aerate your soil to allow your lawn’s root system to access the sun, water, and nutrients from fertilizer. This is one of the most important steps for taking care of your lawn.
- Perform a soil test. Test your soil’s acidity and nutrient levels to determine the kind of fertilizer and care your lawn needs.
- Fertilize. It depends on your fertilizing schedule and grass type, but this might be the time to apply a slow-release nitrogen fertilizer once your grass starts actively growing.
- Apply Pre-Emergent Herbicide. Prevent weeds and crabgrass from growing in your lawn by treating it with a preventative weed killer.
- Overseed Bare Patches. Plant grass seed as soon as the soil warms up to allow new grass time to establish itself before summer. Water well on a regular basis until the grass has become well established.
- Perform Lawn Mower Maintenance. Inspect your mower and sharpen the blades, change the oil, filter, and spark plug. You should also replace any necessary parts.
- Mow Wisely. Start out mowing at a height of 3″ high in spring. Mowing low early in the spring chops off the dead tops of grass blades. Gradually raise the mower setting as the weather gets warmer.
We Know How to Care for Your Lawn Year-Round
A lush, green lawn is the perfect complement to your home. It can also increase your curb appeal and property value. Use this checklist to make sure you’re doing everything you can to have a beautiful lawn year-round. And if you need help, just give us a call. At Green Lawn Fertilizing, we know how important having a great looking yard is to our customers. That’s why we offer affordable, professional lawn care services that will take all of the guesswork (and hard work) out of keeping your lawn looking its best. Contact us today at 888-581-5296 for a free quote!