Does Lawn Fungus Go Away on Its Own?
Or Does It Need Treatment?
Sometimes you can avoid a problem and it will disappear on its own. That under-watered yard can suddenly be fixed by an unexpected rain shower! It’d be great if all issues with your lawn can be handled in the same way. Will lawn fungus go away on its own?
Will Lawn Fungus Go Away on Its Own?
No, unfortunately, it will not go away if left untreated. You will need to come up with a plan of action, which includes ways to help your lawn continue to fend off the disease and treat the current fungi.
How to Treat Lawn Disease
Use a Fungicide
Most often, you will need to use a fungicide to address disease. Be sure to read the directions thoroughly because using too much can even cause more issues.
Make Your Grass Healthier
A healthy lawn is able to fend off disease better. These issues should be amended:
- Compacted soil makes it difficult for roots to grow deeply, which puts your grass at risk of being weak and susceptible to disease.
- Watering problems include: overwatering, watering too often with less water, and not watering at all. Proper watering is crucial for deep roots that can prevent lawn disease.
- You will also need to make sure you’re not damaging the grass during mowing. Keep your blade sharp, and make sure that you’re only cutting off no more than one-third its length at a time.
- Lawn can choke out disease and weeds when there is more grass than your lawn can handle. Overseeding can be a great way to fight off weeds and other issues, which in turn will lead to a healthier lawn.
- If you have a thick layer of thatch, it can block the sun so that the grass has a difficult time growing and getting rid of excess water. The lawn disease brown back, for example, loves places with a lot of thatch.
- Stop using your current lawnmower. It likely has the fungus on the blades and will simply spread it again.
Different diseases require different solutions. Explore our free Lawn Disease Library to help identify the fungus that is plaguing your yard.
Lawn Fungus Won’t Go Away on Its Own—But Green Lawn Fertilizing Can Help.
Green Lawn Fertilizing helps make your yard as healthy as possible so that it can fight off disease all throughout the year. Contact us today to find out more.
Lawn Disease Guide
Learn the hallmark characteristics of diseases that are common to mid-Atlantic turfs.